> Ladies Who Ride Part #1 | CITY GIRL RIDES

Ladies Who Ride Part #1

2/04/2011

photos: courtesy of "girl on bike"

over the year of blogging i've made wonderful and beautiful friends in the bike lane, over the bridge, the state, and ocean. i feel in a sense that although the community of ladies bike blogging is small, it's warm, welcoming, inspiring, encouraging, and supportive. to share a common and individual voice, i've invited my friends and favorite bloggers of the ladies bike blogging community to share with us why they ride. and would like to introduce my first feature of Kendra of Girl on Bike . like me, she resides in the east bay and is active in her community organizing events, crafting, baking, gardening, raising chickens and building a tiny house. thanks for sharing Kendra. i hope you enjoy these series as there are so many wonderful and countless stories of why we ride.

Hailing from Oakland, CA "Girl on Bike" 
2009 was a year of big changes for me. One of those changes was when I made the decision to get rid of my car and get around by bike instead. Originally I did it for two reasons: to get more in shape and to save money. Period. Today I'm still car free but my reasons for riding have multiplied.

Here are a few important reasons why I ride:

*For Health
-I love the fact that I work in exercise everyday by doing something I really enjoy. I think that's the key to staying active. Finding something you have fun doing, then doing a lot of it. For me, riding is my #1 form of transport.

*For the earth
-My bicycle does not produce any emissions harmful or otherwise.
-The only fuel it takes to run are: burritos, fruits, & veggies; something I would be consuming anyway and packing on as fat otherwise.
-The creation of a bike uses way less energy and resources than a car does. According to bicycleuniverse.info "The energy and resources needed to build one medium-sized car could produce 100 bicycles."

*Saves money
 
-No gas costs, of course
-Incredibly low maintenance that I can do myself (or have a friend help with).
-Send less on public transit as I can ride most places

*For community
-One thing I didn't expect when I started riding was the amazing community of people I was joining.
-Being on a bike breaks down the walls created by driving in cars. I love how I can easily stop and talk with the people around me.

*For a clean get away while causing trouble
...no license plate

Girl On Bike handmade Jewelery.
"Girl on Bike" is a one woman operation bringing you thoughtfully conscious accessories. 
Kendra uses recycled and re purposed items in everything made, thinking up interesting new ways to use things commonly sent to the landfill.
~If you are in the Oakland area, you can shop for Girl on Bike earrings at any of these retailers:
*Actual Cafe:
6334 San Pablo Ave. Oakland,CA
*Homespun Bikes
494 Wesley Ave. Oakland, CA
*Manifesto:
421 40th Street, Oakland, CA
*Professor Squirrel:
1167 65th Street, Oakland, CA...

EBCA Food Swaps
Kendra plans an event for people in the East Bay to get together and swap homemade goodies (ie: jams, breads, granola, pickles, baked goods, etc.) If you are interested, know anyone who is interested or think your readers would be interested, invite everyone to join the group and check out the blog.
Here are the deets:
http://www.facebook.com/ebcafoodswap
http://ebcaswaps.blogspot.com/

"Events for people to get together and trade home-made/grown/prepared foods with others in our wonderful East Bay community."
 Mission: To bring diversity, locality, and neighborly-ness to bay area kitchens. Products: 100% Handmade, Homegrown, & Home Baked food stuffs made by you & swapped with each other.
Description: A Food Swap is a place for you to trade your special homemade food items with others in a silent auction/ village marketplace. Your homemade creations (breads, jams, pickles, special concoctions, canned goods, etc.) become your own personal currency for use in swapping with other participants."
cb said...

so great! all wonderful reasons to ride a bike, love it!

xo,
cb

Unknown said...

Hello, its great to read your journey on a bike, its inspiring to read your perspective and what your discovering in the east bay. i currently live in the penninsula. i try to ride my bike as often as i can to get around town. i appreciate biking for the purpose that i can actually stop to smell the roses and enjoy my ride versus being in my car stuck it traffic, rushing from one place to the next. i found this blog via my friend maria t on facebook.
exciting to continue reading..

-judith r

Unknown said...

Hello, its great to read your journey on a bike, its inspiring to read your perspective and what your discovering in the east bay. i currently live in the penninsula. i try to ride my bike as often as i can to get around town. i appreciate biking for the purpose that i can actually stop to smell the roses and enjoy my ride versus being in my car stuck it traffic, rushing from one place to the next. i found this blog via my friend maria t on facebook.
exciting to continue reading..

-judith r

Amber said...

Great post. I adore biking and use to ride everywhere when I was living in Sweden. I lived on my bike. Now back in the Adelaide Hills, I dont do it so much as I feel here I need a speed bike and a wardrobe of lycra and not my big Amsterdam bike and basket. But I intend to step it up in the next few months again.

christina said...

Judith, I'm so grateful for Maria, she is such a great supporter. I'm happy to hear your perspective on riding in the Peninsula, i know it's a challenge for you guys out there. I hope you to continue hearing about your adventures on bike too.

Amber, how lucky where you to live in Amsterdam!? I hope you get your hands on a good bike soon. have you been looking? how are you dealing in the Adelaid Hills?

Girl on Bike said...

Thanks again for the feature, you're awesome!

Anonymous said...

My race run was clean however; the track was not running as fast as predicted and times were only slightly improvedBikes Adelaide

Follow On Instagram

© CITY GIRL RIDES. Design by FCD.