> #IBIKEBECAUSE | CITY GIRL RIDES

#IBIKEBECAUSE

9/17/2014

It's no wonder that walking or riding your bike to work benefits your body and mind over driving. Most of us bloggers have been saying this for years, but a recent UK study has been all over the media giving the data behind this finding and it's got people talking. Last night I posted a little note to my bike on Twitter, pretty much explaining what my bike means to me. Yes, it gives me the health benefits, and yes, I have been singing Beyonce's Flawless on my bike numerous times, and of course I am happier when I'm on my bike, it's really all I think about! The benefits are so great but will this study make any difference in how we design or plan our cities for cycling and walking? I don't know but it's something to consider in how we advocate for bicycle and walking safety in our neighborhoods.

I've been inspired by the recent Twitter chat lately on #IBIKEBECAUSE. Happiness on a bike comes in many forms, and a lot of times, the form of a woman's smile while biking. We are definitely relevant to this whole conversation about the whole wheel, of health, of biking, and happiness. Sharing our reasons and our stories inspires us as a community when we share the same voice and that's where our power for transformation lies. And I really just want to point out, that it also includes our entitlement to feeling safe from harassment when we walk and ride too. There is a lot to be said but to get you part of the conversation, check out this article and photos of Women Who Shatter The Stereotype Af What A Real Biker Looks Like. It's provoking and thoughtful but nonetheless uniting. Perhaps, it will also inspire you to share on the hashtag #IBIKEBECAUSE.

Follow On Instagram

© CITY GIRL RIDES. Design by FCD.