> a dia de los muertos ride | CITY GIRL RIDES

a dia de los muertos ride

11/01/2010


Dia de los Muertos is my favorite holiday, not much of a holiday people might say but my culture strongly believes in celebrating the lives of our ancestors and asking their spirits to visit us once a year. This year I built an ofrenda (altar) for my great grandmother Eva Appodaca who is a Native American Chumach Indian, California. I decided to honor her as I believe sometimes our ancestors spirits visit us in our dreams, memories, and thoughts, she's been in my thoughts a lot this year. So to honor our loved ones as a collective in SF we throw a little procession dressed up as ancestors, calacas (skeletons), and figures. It's a tradition many of us in SF love to take part of and a loving way to honor and mourn our ancestors.
i strongly recommend if you're in the area, take part in this, it's a joyful experience.

 also, please join us in a group ride along the procession, we'll be dressed up with decorated bikes honoring those we chose. we'll be meeting at 6pm on 22nd and Bryant St along with other participants. if you need more information please contact me at citygirlrides@gmail.com and be sure to check out SF's Dia de los Muertos page for more info too.
¡Viva Bicicleta! said...

¡Oye!

christina said...

viva...are you doing anything para dia de los muertos in your hood?

¡Viva Bicicleta! said...

I am working, currently D: I live alone.. but I put up a picture of mi guelita and a drawing I did of a glass of horchata for her. :3

Follow On Instagram

© CITY GIRL RIDES. Design by FCD.